Today is the reveal for Beading Babes' project 6, hosted by Karyn at Releases by Rufydoof. There is also a Facebook page that has albums from all the past Beading Babes projects!
Here is a little background on the group: "Each month we choose projects from beading
magazines such as Beadwork or Bead and Button and all create the same
pieces. Along the way we share ideas, comments and problems we may be
having with the projects!"
For this project, I selected "Josephine's Collar." (found in Beadwork - June/July 2012 by Jill Devon)
Working up the large bezel was a mostly a breeze, but I have to admit, towards the last several rounds, I was having a hard time getting my needle in and out of the beads. When I started the other components I found I had the same problem. I kept switching to smaller needles. I guess my tension was too tight. The truth is, as I got to the end of the second rectangle, I felt like this project was giving me fits!!! Broken needles and a lot of frustration led me to put it aside!
When I picked it up again, I was running out of time - not just for the reveal, but because I am giving it to a friend next weekend on the 22nd, and won't be able to do much beading for a while after Wednesday!
So I decided to modify the design (quite a bit) to save some time, and here is my final result.
This is for my friend who told me she was interested in 'big, bold, unique looking' jewelry. When I saw Josephine's Collar, I knew it would be perfect for her. I told her I found the perfect design for her and asked her if she had any colors she'd be interested in and she told me, how about turquoise or turquoisey-blue.
When I ordered the focal turquoise gem, I also picked up another in royal blue. So in spite of my tension issues on this piece, I know I will try this bezel again in the near future!!!
Thanks again to Karyn for creating and hosting this fun group. I know for a fact that I work on projects I would otherwise not attempt, if it weren't for Beading Babes!